Granite tops gives a kitchen, or even bathroom, a natural modern beauty. It is durable enough to withstand the everyday life of a modern kitchen, easy to clean, hygienic, and will look as good today as it will years from now.
|Labour per linear meter||R500 - R750|
|General cost of granite*||R1500 - R3500|
*Depending on the colour, availability and complexity of the installation.
The benefits of granite counter tops
Scratch Resistant: Granite is the one of the hardest natural stones found on earth! In fact, granite slabs can only be cut with expensive diamond tipped saws. This hardness gives granite one of the highest scratch resistances of all countertop materials and puts it on par with engineered stone. It resists scratches from objects such as knives, pots, plates, and mugs.
Heat Resistant: Of all the countertop materials available, granite has one of the greatest resistances to heat, making it especially popular for kitchen tops and braai areas! Hot pots can be placed directly on the surface without damaging or discolouring the granite.
Stain Resistant: Granite has low porosity. However, sealing the surface with a penetrating stone sealant is recommended to protect the granite from water patches and stains. This sealant is absorbed into the stone giving it a much higher resistance to staining. Stone fabricators should apply a quality sealant before and after the installation of your granite countertops.
Durability: Granite is resistant to weathering, which makes it an ideal choice for outdoor accessories, such as built-in braai areas and wall cladding.
Hygiene: When it comes to the hygiene of your countertops, granite is the way to go.
Some manufacturers of man-made countertop materials and natural stone imitations mislead the public about the porosity of granite leading to problems with bacteria build-up. When in fact, granite is one of the most cleanable countertop materials available.
Disadvantages of granite counter tops
- Granite countertops last forever. If you get tired of the colour, you’ll either need to learn to live with it or rip out the entire surface because you can’t change the colour.
- Each slab of granite is different, so it may not be a good choice if you prefer a completely uniform look.
- Granite can be permanently stained if you seal it with a pre existing stain.
- It can crack when hit by a hard, sharp object like a meat cleaver.
- Because it’s so heavy, granite often requires additional structural support.
It’s important to examine your granite at least once a year. Inspect areas to make sure there is no cracking or shifting at the seams. Inspect for stains and scratches as well. If there are stains or damage, contact a stone-care professional for repair. Delaying repair or treatment can lead to larger and more expensive repairs or even the need for a total replacement.
Many homeowners that don’t know about or forget to perform these extra seasonal tasks end up with costly repairs.
Finding the right Pro
Kandua.com has a list of vetted, background checked Pros all over South Africa that are perfect for the job. You can get multiple quotes in 1 minute or less.
All you need to do is:
- Answer some questions about the job
- Share your contact details so no more than 5 Pros can contact you directly
- You’ll be contacted with quotes or a request for more info by affordable, experienced and trusted Pros
- Read their online reviews
Choose the Pro that best suits your requirements. Then invite your Pro to view your home contents so that you can discuss details of the installation.